- Written by brian
ipecac.com: What’s a “Chicken Switch”?
How can the US reform it’s health care system?
Does David Hasselhof have a drinking problem?
What’s with the weather?
Is there anything better on TV than “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”?
When is a new Melvins record not a new Melvins record?
Well, we can’t figure out the Kardashians for you, but we can tell you this, there is a “new” Melvins record out, and it’s called “Chicken Switch”. It includes some of the Melvins coolest songs from the past, but the twist is, these songs have been remixed by some of the leading purveyors of underground, noise music. You got your Speedranch, Matmos, Eye from the Boredoms, Lee Ranaldo, Merzbow and more reinterpreting songs you’ve cherished since childhood. Hard to call most of these remixes as they stand on their own as new tunes. This project was spearheaded by you the Melvins fans at the Melvins website with the Melvins stamp of approval. So it’s gotta be good, right?
This will keep you satisfied until the new Melvins studio record is unleashed in mid 2010.
So, what’s a “Chicken Switch”?
The press release:
Remember, anything worth doing, is worth overdoing!
Well, it's 2009 and the seemingly tireless Melvins have yet ANOTHER record ready for release...
What is this, their 50th record?
Anyway, the "newest" Melvins release is called "CHICKEN SWITCH" and it's a "re-mix" record... of sorts...
Each of the artists on this thing were given an entire album to work with and pull things from, however none of them were given individual tracks from the albums! So the outcome HAD to be left of center from the "norm."
Some highlights from CHICKEN SWITCH:
As part of japanese noise/epic rock band Boredoms' 23 year mission, leader Eye Yamatsuka has done the impossible and made the drum circle cool for the first time, ever. Filthy hippies will have to find something else to do, which will predictably involve combining two lame sedentary "sports" into one.
Matmos famously lent their precision-sampling wizardry to Bjork. They took their name from the movie 'Barbarella' - featuring a nubile, scantily-clad Jane Fonda. Given their intense fondness for weird, sexy women, it's no wonder they were totally into working with the Melvins.
Lee Ranaldo has had a long solo career making quite pleasant warped midnight music. He's also in this band that you might have heard of called Sonic Youth.
Japanese NOISE GOD Merzbow is not the only guy to wrap 50 CDs of audio steel wool in a kinky leather fetish boxset or release a cassette "packaged" in an automobile, but -- Wait. Yeah, he is.
Sunroof! is the more psychedelic, meditative alter-ego of Matthew Bower (Skullflower, Hototogisu, Total, etc.), who is responsible for upwards of 50% of tinnitus cases reported in England.
Kawabata Makoto, as leader/guitarist of the cultish Japanese band Acid Mothers Temple, has perfected the art of making rock music that sounds like freight trains. His remix lovingly recreates the Monon BL2 diesel locomotive (pulling an estimated 60 cars).
No one knows what Void Manes is. I think it has something to do with EVP -- it was on the CD after it was mastered, and we sure as hell weren't going to pay to do it over.
Sounds good to me!
For those who don't know:
The Melvins have been a band for over 25 years...
The Melvins have done a shit load of albums.... How many is a shit load? No one really knows.
The Melvins live in Los Angeles and it's understood in hip circles that the United States tilts left and anything covered in slime tends to slide straight out to California. If your sliding too fast when you slide into San Francisco you tend to glance off south and the real scum bags end up in Los Angeles where their skin dries into a Malibu Ken tan which most hipsters have to painstakingly remove with Easy Off oven cleaner.
We all love porn right? And with the internet we've all become totally bored with porn. Bored out of our minds with easy access day and night internet porn.
The Melvins have four members.
King Buzzo... Longest surviving and only original member left. When they get around to replacing him there will be no original members!
Dale Crover... Long standing drummer and part time guitar player. Dale likes his booze in a High Ball glass.
Jared Warren... Bass player, singer and part time drama geek. Jared also plays in the band Big Business.
Coady Willis... Drummer. Coady has a funny story about trying to play a gig in leather pants. Ask him, it's funny as shit! Coady also plays drums in Big Business.
So there you have it!
You can find other interesting bits and bobs about the Melvins on line and some of it is even true! Well, it's at least as true as what the band would tell you in person.
- Written by brian
The Melvins will release Chicken Switch, the long rumored(since 2003) remix cd with a twist, on Sept. 29 via Ipecac Recordings. Unlike usual remix cds where the remixer is given a single track to work with, for Chicken Switch each remixer was given a full album to work with and pull from to create their track (and in some cases, more than one full album was used as source material). The song names were also newly selected by their remixer.
- Eye Yamatsuka — Washmachine Sk8tronics
- Christoph Heemann — Emperor Twaddle Remix
- V/VM — She Chokes Her Dying Breath and Does It In My Face
- John Duncan — AAHHH…
- Matmos — Linkshänder
- Lee Ranaldo — EggNog Trilogy: i) She’s Ivanhoe ii) Cancer iii) Inebriated
- Merzbow — SNOW REM REM IBVZ
- David Scott Stone — Prick Concrète/Revolution M
- Panacea — Queen (Electroclash Remix)
- Sunroof! — The Silky Apple Butter of Youth
- Kawabata Makoto — 4th Floor Hellcopter
- Farmersmanual — disp_tx_skel_mach_murx
- Void Manes — Overgoat
- RLW — Over from Under the Dog, Girl & Boy Treatment
- Speedranch — Hard Revenge Milly Bloody Battle VS. The Melvins Ozmatized Gore Police (Feat: Cardopusher of the Five Deadly Venoms)
- Written by brian
Melvins will also be a part of the 10 Years Of All Tomorrow's Parties taking place from December 11th-13th of 2009. Please read more for the press release on what looks to be another amazing event being put on by ATP.
(the) Melvins are happy to announce a US tour with longtime pals, Down! (We've known drummer Jimmy Bower for several years now. First dude ever with a Melvins tattoo)! We're also doing a few headlining shows along the way. More dates coming soon! This is going to be a great tour and we hope to see y'all there!!!!
- August 7, 2009 - San Jose, CA - The Blank Club
- August 9, 2009 - Eugene, OR - John Henry’s
- August 11, 2009 - Seattle, WA - The Showbox SoDo w/ Down
- August 12, 2009 - Portland, OR - Roseland Theatre w/ Down
- August 14, 2009 - San Francisco, CA - The Regency Ballroom w/ Down
- August 15, 2009 - Los Angeles, CA - Wiltern Theater w/ Down
- August 16, 2009 - San Diego, CA - House Of Blues w/ Down
- August 18, 2009 - Anaheim, CA - House Of Blues w/ Down
- August 19, 2009 - Las Vegas, NV - House Of Blues w/ Down
- August 21, 2009 - Salt Lake City, UT - In The Venue w/ Down
- August 22, 2009 - Englewood, CO - Gothic Theatre w/ Down
- August 24, 2009 - Tulsa, OK - The Marquee
- August 25, 2009 - Oklahoma City, OK - Diamond Ballroom
- August 26, 2009 - Dallas, TX - House Of Blues Pontiac Garage
- August 27, 2009 - San Antonio, TX -The White Rabbit
- August 28, 2009 - Houston, TX - Meridian Red Room
- August 29, 2009 - Baton Rouge, LA - Spanish Moon
- September 1, 2009 - Atlanta, GA - CW Center Stage w/ Down
- September 2, 2009 - Orlando, FL - House Of Blues w/ Down
- September 4, 2009 - North Myrtle Beach, SC - House Of Blues w/ Down
- September 5, 2009 - Charlotte, NC - The Fillmore Charlotte w/ Down
- September 6, 2009 - Knoxville, TN - The Valarium w/ Down
- September 8, 2009 - Baltimore, MD - Sonar w/ Down
- September 9, 2009 - Clifton Park, NY - Northern Lights w/ Down
- September 11, 2009 - New York, NY - NOKIA Theatre Times Square w/ Down
- September 12, 2009 - Monticello, NY - Kutshers Country Club - ATP NEW YORK 2009
- September 13, 2009 - Boston, MA - House Of Blues w/ Down
- September 15, 2009 - Hartford, CT - Webster Theatre w/ Down
- September 16, 2009 - Rochster, NY - Main Street Armory w/ Down
- September 17, 2009 - Buffalo, NY - Town Ballroom
- September 18, 2009 - Pittsburgh, PA - Mr. Smalls Theatre
- September 19, 2009 - Detroit, MI - Emerald Theatre w/ Down
- September 21, 2009 - Indianapolis, IN - Vogue Theatre w/ Down
- September 22, 2009 - Cleveland, OH - House Of Blues w/ Down
- September 24, 2009 - Omaha, NE - Sokol Auditorium w/ Down
- September 25, 2009 - Sauget, IL - Pop's Nightclub w/ Down
- September 26, 2009 - Mokena, IL - The Pearl Room w/ Down
- September 28, 2009 - Louisville, KY - Expo Five w/ Down
- Written by brian
The collection includes works by Greg Shirilla, Martin Cimek, Jeremy Scheuch, Aristeo Jaure and many others. The artwork shown will include paintings inspired by Melvins songs and album covers, portraits of Melvins band members and a shrine of rarely seen Melvins fan memorabilia.
Curating Melvins Army Chicago is Cheri Gutierrez with her husband Omar, co-owners of Revolution Tattoo & Gallery, Chicago’s very first art gallery and tattoo shop located at 2221 N.
Western Ave in West Bucktown. The have been supporting local artists and metal music at their shop since 2004 by hosting art shows and tattooing the Chicago community.
The Melvins Army Chicago art show will be an amazing event. We brought together so many die hard fans that jumped at the opportunity to create art for such an inspiring band. said Cheri Gutierrez.
The art work in the exhibition is donated by the artists and the proceeds will go to the Paul Green School of Rock. The school’s mission is to put musical instruments into the hands of budding rock stars across the Chicago region. The goal is to inspire young adults to perform on stage in front of a live audience with all the confidence of a seasoned musician.
As a witness to how music can change one’s life, I feel the Melvin’s are truly pioneers of unique rock and roll that has the power to alter one’s perception of what music has to offer. We here at the School of Rock seek these long-term and incredibly talented bands to teach our students a variety of how to master their instruments and performance. The Melvins have refused to stop opening my mind and the minds of many young people to a new era of heavy tunes.
The students here at Paul Green School of Rock can’t thank you enough for this much needed contribution that will in-turn help young people who can’t afford the best music program in the country. Thanks to our friends at Revolution Tattoo & Gallery, all the amazing contributing artists and of course The Melvins! said Amy Mareing General Manager of The School of Rock.
Melvins Army Chicago Flat Iron Bar
1565 N. Milwaukee Ave Chicago, IL
Monday May 18th 8:00pm-2:00am One night Only!
- Written by brian
Once again, Mr. Brian Walsby has compiled a collection of edgy, biting comic art and bad assed, rare tunes from the Melvins. MANCHILD 4 is 100 pages of illustrations and stories from a comic artist who's been poking fun at subversive youth culture, pop culture, your favorite band, and himself since the early ë80s. You'll laugh. You'll cringe. You just might get angry and start a message board war. Contents of Brian's new book include "No! I Don't Want To Play Your Effing House Party", "Frisky's Beaver Hut", "We Were All Assholes", "My First Orgasm", "Emo Rock Revival", and tons of others. There's also an in depth Melvins 2008 tour diary that's sure to break a few eggs. BATABING! There are 3000 of these on earth. How many do you have?
Pick Your Battles is a 15 song CD of live Melvins tunes recorded in 1989 at the 924 Gilman St. Project in Berkeley, Ca. and in 2008 at the Paradise Rock Club in Boston. The track list is as follows:
- Cranky Messiah
- Raise a Paw
- Ever Since My Accident
- Green Honey
- You're Blessened
- Nude With Boots
- The Kicking Machine
- Eye Flys
- Rat Faced Granny
- The Hawk
- You've Never Been Right
Tracks 1-9 from Gilman St./Tracks 10-15 at the Paradise.
read more for a sample page...
- Written by brian
from the Melvins Myspace: "The Melvins celebrate their Silver Anniversary this year! Lots of fun and surprises are coming! To kick off the festivities, the boys are doing some select shows performing the Houdini record in it’s entirety. One Mr. Trevor Dunn will be handling the bass duties while the Big Business boys are touring their new album “Mind The Drift”. Also along for the ride is original drummer Mike Dillard. The boys will play songs from the Mangled Demos record with Dale Crover playing the role of Matt Lukin! The Melvins will also play two special shows with old pals Green River in Seattle, WA."
- May 15, 2009 - New York, NY - Webster Hall
- May 16, 2009 - Boston, MA - Paradise
- May 18, 2009 - Chicago, IL - Double Door
- May 20, 2009 - Austin, TX - Emo's
- May 22, 2009 - Seattle, WA - Showbox
- May 23, 2009 - Seattle, WA - Showbox
- May 24, 2009 - Portland, OR - Roseland
The Melvins have been announced as part of the lineup for the Flaming Lips/ATP curated New York All Tomorrow Parties Festival this year on Saturday September 12th.
It looks like they will also be playing some festivals this summer overseas, including this years Fuji Rock Festival in Japan on July 25th.