- Written by brian
Melvins have announced the dates for their spring tour, including a month in Europe playing both Melvins Lite and some Residency shows with the full lineup! Vice's Noisey also premiered a new track today from the forthcoming covers album Everybody Loves Sausages, Queen's "You're My Best Friend" which features guest vocals from Caleb Benjamin of Tweak Bird.
Melvins Lite European Tour
April 22, 2013 - Bristol, England - Exchange
April 23, 2013 - Tourcoing, France - Le Grand Mix
April 24, 2013 - Brussels, Belgium - VK
April 25, 2013 - Haarlem, The Netherlands - Patronaat
April 26, 2013 - Cologne/Köln, Germany - Bürgerhaus Stollwerck
April 27, 2013 - Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg - Kulturfabrik
April 28, 2013 - Schorndorf, Germany - Manufaktur
April 29, 2013 - Geneva, Switzerland - L'Usine PTR
April 30, 2013 - Livorno, Italy - The Cage Theatre
May 01, 2013 - Mezzago, Italy - Bloom
May 02, 2013 - Munich, Germany - Hansa 39
May 03, 2013 - Prague, Czech Republic - Matrix Klub
May 04, 2013 - Wroclaw, Poland - Asymmetry Festival
May 05, 2013 - Leipzig, Germany - UT Konnewitz
Melvins European Residency
May 07, 2013 - Berlin, Germany - Festsaal Kreuzberg - Day 1 (playing Lysol, Eggnog and Houdini)
May 08, 2013 - Berlin, Germany - Festsaal Kreuzberg - Day 2 (playing Bullhead and Stoner Witch)
May 10, 2013 - Paris, France - Le Trabendo - Day 1
May 11, 2013 - Paris, France - Le Trabendo - Day 2
May 13, 2013 - Vienna, Austria - Arena - Day 1
May 14, 2013 - Vienna, Austria - Arena - Day 2
May 16, 2013 - Zurich, Switzerland - Rote Fabrik - Day 1
May 17, 2013 - Zurich, Switzerland - Rote Fabrik - Day 2
May 19, 2013 - London, England - Electric Brixton - Day 1
May 20, 2013 - London, England - Electric Brixton - Day 2
May 21, 2013 - Bristol, England - Exchange - Day 1
May 22, 2013 - Bristol, England - Exchange - Day 2
May 25, 2013 - Baltimore, MD - Maryland Deathfest
May 27, 2013 - Millvale, PA - Mr. Smalls Theatre
May 28, 2013 - Columbus, OH - A&R Music Bar
May 29, 2013 - Cincinnati, OH - Taft Theatre
June 01, 2013 - Memphis, TN - Scion Rock Fest
- In December, Melvins drummer Dale Crover performed with Honky, the local trio led by the Surfers' favored bassist Jeff Pinkus. Not long afterward, he met with Crover and Melvins singer/guitarist Buzz Osborne in L.A. for some writing and recording. The session, engineered by Big Business/Melvins wingman Toshi Kasai, yielded four songs, two written and sung by Pinkus. Titled "Pist Pistoferson" and "AM Radio Head," they reined the sludge vets into Pinkus' world of "big stupid rock songs." The other two tunes, penned by Osborne, utilize the cryptic tunings and oozing riffage that remain distinctly Melvins. "My songwriting is so much more structured than theirs," laughs Pinkus. "I write in a rock way whereas Buzz comes up with riffs so intricate that we'd have to remind ourselves what we did last practice. That's probably why they want me as a bass player, because I can remember his parts when he can't!" Pinkus and Osborne even did a little role reversal, switching off guitar and bass duties on one song. The EP, titled Pinkus, comes out on AmRep this spring. Many of the label's releases are in quantities of 700 and sell out quickly. "The Melvins put out so much stuff that this will be only a brief blurb in the timeline of their releases," reflects Pinkus. "But for me it's something that I've been real proud to be a part of."
MNoriginal did a great feature on Tom Hazelmeyer, the Dear Leader of Amphetamine Reptile Records...
- Written by brian
Today the Melvins announced a 13-track covers album titled "Everybody Loves Sausages," which is set for a April 30th release via Ipecac Recordings.
"This record will give people a peak into the kind of things that influence us musically," explains Buzz Osborne. "We REALLY like all of these songs along with the bands who actually wrote this stuff because first and foremost we are HUGE music fans."
In a decidedly Melvins approach to a covers album, the band not only selected a unique assortment of songs to cover, ranging from Roxy Music's "In Every Dream Home A Heartache" to Queen's "Best Friend," they also enlisted several friends to take part including Mudhoney's Mark Arm joining them for The Scientists' "Set It On Fire" and Neurosis' Scott Kelly pitching in on a cover of Venom's "Warhead."
While the release is billed as a proper Melvins' album (featuring the line-up of Osborne, Dale Crover, Jared Warren and Coady Willis), there are a handful of songs recorded as the Melvins Lite incarnation of the band (Osborne, Crover and Trevor Dunn): "Female Trouble" (Divine a.k.a. John Waters), "Timothy Leary Lives" (Pop-O-Pies) and "Romance By Tales of Terror" (Tales of Terror).
The complete track listing with original artist and guest player notation:
- Warhead (Venom; Guest: Scott Kelly of Neurosis)
- Best Friend (Queen; Guest: Caleb Benjamin of Tweak Bird)
- Black Betty (Original artist unknown)
- Set It On Fire (The Scientists; Guest: Mark Arm)
- Station To Station (David Bowie; Guest: JG Thirlwell)
- Attitude (The Kinks: Guest: Clem Burke of Blondie)
- Female Trouble (Divine a.k.a. John Waters)
- Carpe Diem (The Fugs)
- Timothy Leary Lives (Pop-O-Pies)
- In Every Dream Home A Heartache (Roxy Music; Guests: Jello Biafra and Kevin Rutmanis)
- Romance (Tales of Terror)
- Art School (The Jam; Guest: Tom Hazelmeyer)
- Heathen Earth (Throbbing Gristle)
Dale made an appearance on The Hot Box to promote Everybody Loves Sausages and he premiered the first track from the album, Venom's "Warhead".
- Written by brian
AmRep has announced that tomorrow morning around 9AM Central a number of new and limited Melvins vinyl releases will go on sale on SHOXOP and then likely sell out posthaste. The new splits in the ongoing Sugar Daddy split series with Mudhoney and Fucked Up will be available along with the 5th cover variant of the Melvins 1983 EP. In addition to those items, AmRep is releasing Hepa/Titus' new album Follow Me tomorrow morning as well. Hepa/Titus is former Melvins bassist Kevin Rutmanis' new band and the album is outstanding!
UPDATE(1/26/2013): As expected these releases sold out in about an hour. Some copies may still be available at upcoming tour dates in 2013.
On a related note, Tom Hazelmeyer, owner of Amphetamine Reptile Records was interviewed by an Israeli radio station recently. In the interview he touches on the way AmRep functions in its new era of mostly limited releases. Check out the interview HERE.
YouTube clips have been posted of the two tracks from the NYE split 12" with Redd Kross!
Decent Exposure Radio posted the audio of an interview they did with the band while they were in Allentown, PA for the 51/51 tour.
- Written by brian
Roxwel has posted the full set of the Melvins Lite show in Austin, TX last October along with an interview!
Poster art from the show by Bobby Dixon
- Written by brian
It's nearly 2013 and the Melvins will be breaking in a select few along with Redd Kross in L.A. at the historic Alexandria Hotel for their New Years Eve Ballroom Blitz! The Melvins will also be playing a show in San Francisco at the Great American Music Hall on Dec. 29th.
Poster by Haze XXL
There's sure to be some interesting limited releases available at the New Years eve show, including a split 12" w/ Red Kross which has the Melvins covering Female Trouble and Carpe Diem by The Fugs! Redd Kross side will have 2 versions of "Linda Blair" old & new. Silk screened sleeves by Obsolete Industries. 300 are being pressed so there should be a handful leftover after the show for sale on the web from AmRep.
Joyful Noise Recordings will soon be opening up for pre-order their Flexi-Disc series for 2013 and not only are the Melvins being featured, Mackie Osborne did the artwork for the optional Deluxe Wooden Box for the set. "The Joyful Noise 2013 Flexi Disc Series features new, unreleased recordings from 12 of our favorite bands - released monthly on square, single-sided, clear 7" Flexi Discs. Limited to just 1000 copies solely on Flexi Disc, these songs will not be released digitally or on any other format. Each release includes full artwork, featuring a unique cover provided by the respective bands." No word on what the song the Melvins will be contributing as of yet. Check out the Joyful Noise site for all the details...
Hand-numbered, custom-built wooden box, screen-printed with exclusive artwork by Mackie Osborne
- Written by brian
Big Biz has put up the remainder of the 2012 tour 7 inches on their site for purchase, so I invite you to do some business with Big Business. $7 and comes in Yellow, Clear, or Red. A-side is Battlefields and the b-side is Into The Light(Siouxsie and the Banshees cover). "our limited run of tour 7's has finally been counted and put up on the site!!!! can you believe it? be a part of history and order all of them for yourself.. then put them on ebay and watch the profits rain in!!!!!! comes with a free download card and everything!" They're also pursuing a hostile takeover of Facebook so get behind that before they sick a portion of their legal team on you.